Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Salmon in fifty different ways....

I adore salmon - especially the yummy smoked varieties you can get from Scotland and the Scandanavian countries. When we lived in Aberdeen I used to buy some of the best wild smoked salmon I have ever tasted in my life. Yesterday for lunch I had a huge bowl of great salmon salad from a local deli. One item I almost always have in my fridge is a packet of smoked salmon but was too lazy to prepare a salad (sad isn't it?).

As we happen to live in one of the really tempting parts of Paris - as far as food and too many other things go - we also have two fantastic great marches, great gourmet food stores (including teas, coffees, chocolates etc) and there is this deli called Maison Nordique on Faubourg St. Honore which I frequent- where you can buy heavenly salmon, caviar, truffles, vodkas.... The deli makes fresh sandwiches, Norwegian cakes and salads every day for lunch (my favourite is one with crayfrish, prawns and lots of smoked salmon).

I think I am in mood for such delish spreads mainly in summer months. Though we tend to eat scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for brunch on weekends in the cooler months.

I am a pisces and utter shame on me for wanting to eat almost any and all yummy fissies! However, I have been told since I was a child that it is good brain food so I think I have a legit need! :D

Comments:
Yummmm. When P and I were in Charleston recently, I ate she-crab soup at every possible opportunity. When I go to Maine, I eat lobster three times a day. I have a great recipe for Crab Napolean, which is crab salad with curry served on pappadum! I ate nothing but fish and fish salad when C and I were in Denmark and Sweden, and LOVE Scottish salmon when in that country!. In other words, I'm with you, Ms N! In October, let's go eat some salmon together!
Signed,
Ms. Fishy
 
Oh Ms. Fishy! There is another place I really love called Olsen. We may go there instead - closer to Caron AND one of my all time favourite tea rooms! Mwah!
 
I wrote about Olsen in October - if you look back. :)
 
Hi dear Neela!
Thank you for inviting me to your adorable blog.

Like you, I adore salmomn, but have found only 3 or 4 ways to make good use of it. Perhaps you have hit the solution: move to Paris!

Will check back on your blog.
xox
 
Hi dear B! Welcome to this mishmash blog of zero importance. Thanks for visiting and see you soon!

xoxo
 
I love smoked salmon almost any way it is served, but especially in cream sauce on pasta. I also love smoked trout, but I haven't found a good source since I moved out of the city. As always, I am drooling over your abundance of shopping opportunities and bemoaning my own lack thereof :-)
 
Yum, yum, yum, Miss Neela! I love to eat all things delicious, and smoked salmon on a soft warm plain bagel with cream cheese, tomatoes, onions and capers always hits the spot! I also love sushi, along with salmon, mahi-mahi, or yellowtail hot off the grill. There is this amazing open-air fish market/lunch counter in downtown LA on Fifth and Central. We call it "the Fish Place," because we can never remember its name. Folks line up at lunchtime to get their grilled and fried fish delights, along with great fries and coleslaw. When I worked downtown in the mid-80's, we tried to go there at least once a week for lunch. Now I usually make it once or twice a year, but it has not changed one bit, and is always such a treat!
 
Darling Robin(s)!

East coast Robin - I adore smoked salmon with pasta too. Oh I hope you can find smoked trout soon. They are delicious too. Also love smoked haddock and halibut! :))

xoxo


To: that dearest friend from LA! When I visit you in LA - we MUST go to this fish place. I am so delighted to know that you love fish too and Japanese variations like I do. :)

Mwah!
 
I really liked the info on your site about smoked salmon - nice work. I've just started my own smoked salmon secrets blog and would really appreciate you stopping by
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?