Friday, August 05, 2005

New food/drink feature - each week I would like to share a chef ....


Fruit of the week - wonderful flat peaches. These are truly sweet, juicy and delicious.














......I admire, discuss some of the local markets, maybe wines, teas, chocolate or simply some recipes I enjoy cooking. This blogger happens to be quite a foodie and it would be a shame not to share that aspect of my life with all of you. One thing I must admit is that I detest following recipes unless they are from my own head - with scales and other measuring implements - I am not fussy and I am a lazy cook - really more of an experimental cook - I cook food as and how I like to - whenever and however it suits me. If I do not have an ingredient, I happily substitute it with something else and rather predictably NONE of my meals ever turn out to be the same.

This week's chefs are:

1. Jamie Oliver - whom a lot of you may detest. I like Jamie. I think he has done wonders to the modern Brit cuisine and his recipes do work. They are also not overly measured, overtly pretty things but they taste good and frankly that is what I am after - tasty food. When I want pretty - I go to Michelin starred restaurants to enjoy that aspect. I am being unfair to my own style but you get the picture don't you?

http://www.jamieoliver.com/food/

Enjoy his site! BTW - Jamies apparently learnt to cook some serious Kerala cuisine from Das (who told me so first hand) - who is the owner of the fab Rasa restaurants in London.

2. Das Sreedharan is an incredibly modest but talented Indian chef and is also a superb entrepreneur. He has done some good PR for "authentic" (meaning non-Bangaldeshi) Indian cuisine in London town. His restaurants are all great places to enjoy a meal if you are in London town. I so hope he opens a restaurant in Paris very soon - where Indian cuisine is pretty awful to be honest. The ones that are here are nothing like in India nor anywhere else. I believe a lot of the chefs are from Pondicherry and via Mauritius - however all the chefs in these restaus claim to be from North India. Whyever?? :(

http://www.rasarestaurants.com/index.php?option=about

_____________________________________________________________
Recipe of the week:

Chapli Kebab

(this blogger made this easy peasy recipe yesterday) - no photos as I did not think of posting this today.

This is a popular dish of the North Western Frontier Province of Pakistan.
1 kg mutton or beef mince - (I used half that amount and used beef mince from our butcher, you can use chicken mince too)
3 green chillies finely chopped
1 bunch chopped coriander
2 table spoon original corn flour
2 ½ spoon coriander seed (half crushed)
salt to taste 1 tea spoon dried pomegranate seed (Anar dana)
1 table spoon of ginger and garlic paste
1 tea spoon red chilli powder
3 diced tomatoes
2 diced onions
1 slightly beaten egg

(you can alter the amount of chillies according to your taste)

Combine all the spices and ingredients along with mince. Mix them well, make palm size kababs. Then take 5 table spoon of oil, pour it on frying pan. Fry the kebabs on medium or low flame. Each side of kebab should be cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with Nan and Mint Chutney.

I did not have any anardana and did not use cornflour but I used a pinch of mango powder. Also went a bit overboard with garlic last evening. I also serve with lime and salad. It did turn out to be great. You can also make a Kathi roll (wrap) by putting a couple of kebabs in the Nan - add some salad and tomato and roll it up and eat with your hands the way it is done in India and you have a delicious meal.
A variation is to mash some potato and mix with the kebab mix - make small round or elongated shaped kebabs before frying. You can fill any indian bread with chilli chicken etc. These are very quick and easy means and in India etc. they are considered to be snacks.

It is delish. Try it and let me know.


Drink suggestions: Belgian beer (if you don't have Cobra or Kingfisher) or iced green or white tea.

Pudding: We had some chocolate profiteroles. :)


_________________________________________________

I do not claim that i cook everyday as I mentioned above I am a lazy cook at the best of times - there are so many things to get done - so I follow short cuts and during summer months live on roast chicken (from our Marche), smoked fish, smoked ham, good salads, fresh fruits, good wines. etc. We also eat out a lot.


Comments:
PS You can use mince lamb or a mix of beef and lamb. This amount of meat will feed at least a few adults. Leftovers especially food from the Indian subcontinent get tastier the next day.
 
Oh, this is a great new feature! You made me hungry with your descriptions of food. Now, I want to run into the kitchen and try to make kebabs. Lately, P and I have been making easy summer food, but yesterday I made fish in basil and green onion batter and cauliflower pakora (not very traditional as I shallow-fried it in a little bit of oil). Fish was easy--dip tilapia fillet in a mix of egg, 1T flour and a handfull of chopped green onions, basil, cilantro (or any other herbs) and then fry in a little bit of oil.

xoxo
 
Dear V - your fish recipe sounds wonderful and how I adore cauliflower pakora - yummm! I love tilapia too.

xoxox
 
Oh N, this is FUN! The picture of the doughnut peaches made me grin! I love this. And am copying all recipes into my notepad. Also I love Jamie Oliver if only for his voice. He seems like an orphan straight out of Dickens with that cockney accent. Now he's a comparatively rich orphan with best-selling books and his own TV shows *Don't cry for him, Argentina* xoxoxo
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
oops peche plate! :))
 
Hi dear M! LOL - love that description of Jamie. ;D He is much posher now! The doughnut peaches are called pêche plate here. I adore them.
 
OK, Neela, you fabulous lady, here is your interview:

1. Who has had the greatest influence on you, and why?

2. What are your most favorite and least favorite parts about living in Paris?

3. If you could have either the power to be invisible or the power to fly, which would you choose?

4. What is a common misconception that people have about you?

5. What was the best meal you ever had in your life?


When you post your answers on your blog, remember to include the rules for Interview Tag at the end:

Now, if you have a blog and you want to be interviewed, leave me a note in the comments that says, "Interview me, please."

I will respond by asking you 5 questions, but not the same as the above questions. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions and interview someone else in the same post or new post.
 
Thanks Tania dear! I will post a separate interview post soon.

xoxo
 
I'm vegetarian, so I probably won't try to tackle this recipie. But, since one excuse is as good as the next, I will follow your drink suggestions. Iced tea now, beer later.
 
LOL! Good one Katie about beer!
I will bear in mind and include veg recipes.

Have a super weekend.
 
Oh those peaches look divine! I don't like cooking with meat and seldom eat much of it, unless I eat out. Can't wait to read more!
 
Dear S! Thank you and hope to do more veg features soon.

xoxox
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?