Sunday, September 18, 2005

The luxury "Confidentiel" range from Fragonard..


Fragonard and I have never been good friends. However, recently I came across the brand new Confidentiel range with four fragrances - the notes are from their press blurb and my thoughts in italics.

These are truly international in spirit (see notes and where they all come from) and it is a real spice fest. These perfumes happen to be less linear and unisex than many I had previously tried from Fragonard. The bottles are rather tall, clear glass, modern and simple and yet quite stylish.


Soudain

According to Fragonard - an instant of eternity....an impertinent fragrance that swathes you in light........(from their blurb)

Top: green mandarin from Italy, lemon, bergamot from Sicily and neroli

Heart: cardamom from Guatemala, blackcurrent buds, jasmine, orange blossom etc.

Bottom: Gaiac wood from Paraguay, cedar and musk


My thoughts: this has a rather fresh and soapy feel - a little spicy to start with but then it goes rather clean and the orange blossom and the cedar become more prominent.




Cette Nuit La

Top: galbanum, neroli, bergamot from Sicily

Heart: cinnamon tree leaves, essence of coriander and caraway, essence of Bulgarian and Turkish roses, iris absolute, jasmine, heliotrope

Bottom: sandalwood from Australia, essence of patchouli from Indonesia, amber, leather, vanilla and musk

My thoughts: very interesting fragrance - the fresh start becomes warmer in a few minutes and more oriental in its feel. It is not a fragrance without character. The drydown reminds me very slightly of Coriolan by Guerlain and also of Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal.


Mesonge

Top: bergamot from Sicily, grapfruit, ginger, green leaves, cardamom

Heart: nutmeg, clove, essence of celery seeds, caraway, tea rose, fresh jasmine

Bottom: cedarwood from Virginia, vetiver from Haiti, sandalwood, lavender absolute.

This starts very nicely - all rather light, fresh and spicy and then goes into a cheap cologne phase that I did not care for. Drydown is spicy and slightly woody.



Apres Tout

Top: essence of Bulgarian rose, bergamot from Sicily

Heart: essence of rose de Mai, violet, raspberry

Bottom: cristal rose absolute, oak moss, patchouli from Indonesia, amber and musk.

My thoughts: this is a must try for rose lovers. It is a musky-fruity rose and it is also the lightest of the four. The patchouli is not a heavy head ache inducing variety so you may want to try this even if you detest patchouli. Something smells awful on me - maybe raspberry (for a few minutes before the drydown) - I love to eat raspberries but strangely do not care for the smell in my fumes...





Comments:
Dear N, that sounds really interesting, but I think I won´t get a chance to test them: I recently emailed Fragonard because I don´t know any of their fragrances, but they don´t send samples, only bottles...
 
Dear C! Hope you are well.
I think if you ask for this range specifically- they must have samples. They are trying to promote this as a luxury range. I forgot what the price is but it is more than the usual.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
PS: dear C - sadly I am not a huge fan of Fragonard. I would suggest you get samples/decants before buying any.
 
Hi N! Must echo C here, it is too darn hard to get Fragonard samples now, especially since they are no longer distributing the fragrances in the US. Perhaps with this new line that will change? It is not one of my favorite lines, but I do love the Garrigues.

Just saw the very last of the Fragonards in Takashimaya marked down to almost nothing, but they did not have my Garrigues so bought nothing.
 
Hello R! I hope with this new line (and price hike) things will change. I forgot to mention but they have brought out some skincare/bodycare products too - like special scrubs.

Hope you are well.
 
ohhhhhhh, I was there with you Apres Tout ... right up to the raspberry. I share your raspberry feelings. darn. xoxo
 
Hello dear M - yes it is a shame though the raspberry bit disappears after a few minutes and then becomes a musky-rose drydown.

Hugs!
 
Luckily for me, darling, and thanks to your frank comments, none of these fumes appeal to me.

Hugs!
 
Hello darling R! Hope you are well.
These are OK - better than most Fragonards but none are for me...

Hope you are well.

Hugs!
 
Dear N, I loved these reviews. I am already anticipating visiting the store with you! The fragrances sound very interesting.

Hope that you are having a wonderful day!
xoxo
 
Dear V! It would be great to see the store when you are here. They are also expanding into the skincare market.

Hope you are well.

xoxo
 
Thank you for giving us such a personal take on these releases, N. The bottles are quite interesting, but the notes you describe...alas! Apres Tout sounded promising, right up to the raspberry - I must agree with you and M about its undesirability in perfumes! Any kind of berry, really, does not like my skin chemistry.
 
Dear D - many thanks! I think if you can get past the raspberry phase - you may like it a lot.

Hope you are very well.

xoxo
 
Cette Nuit La sounds pretty interesting, but the rest don't get my attention. Weirdly, the bottles remind me of the GAP bottles for their fragrances a few years back. These are sleeker and more dramatic, though. I just could never get into Fragonard. One of those lines with too many scents, not enough visual cues (or naming cues) to let you know which among them might appeal to you.
 
I totally agree T! Cette Nuit La is the most interesting and you may like it. Good point T - they do look like sleeker GAP bottles. These perfumes are also more refined than a lot of Fragonards I have tried. Like you, I have never been able to get into Fragonards...
 
Hey Blogger, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here by accident while searching for something else, but nice blog..

If you got time , come visit my site, http://www.sacredperfumes.com. It pretty much covers french perfume and similar stuff.
 
Great site!

Please check out my blog- Plasma Lcd Tvs

Or your my be interested in my other site- Plasma Lcd Tvs where you can find Plasma Lcd Tvs
 
I just read your blog Blogger, – very nice. I made myself a blog, I have a perfumes site. It pretty much covers perfumes related stuff. Check it out if you have the time.
 
I just read your blog Blogger, – very nice. I made myself a blog, I have a discount perfume site. It pretty much covers discount perfume related stuff. Check it out if you have the time.
 
Thanks for letting us post comments Blogger, - very cool of you. I work online with my own home based business website. I have a Hardware site. It pretty much covers Hardware related stuff.
Check it out if you get the chance. Thanks again!
 
Thanks for letting us post comments Blogger, - very cool of you. I work online with my own home based business website. I have a womens perfume site. It pretty much covers womens perfume related stuff.
Check it out if you get the chance. Thanks again!
 
Blogs are relatively new and entrepreneurs and corporations alike are just now starting to experiment with using them .
Very informative blog site Blogger.

I have a perfume site. It pretty much covers perfume related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.
 
Hey Blogger, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here by accident while searching for something else, but nice blog..

If you got time , come visit my site, http://www.sacredperfumes.com. It pretty much covers perfume and similar stuff.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?